Saturday, November 13, 2010

PART 2 ~ ART IN UNEXPECTED PLACES!!

SLO COMMISSIONED 13 ARTISTS 
to DECORATE 16 UTILITY BOXES!

 If you missed 
Part 1 ~ Art in Unexpected Places
click HERE
 UTILITY BOX ART
Higuera @ the Apple Store
The desire to make beautiful, meaningful 
moments and things is an undeniable part 
of who we are.
~ Sandra Magsamen, author of living artfully
IT'S A DANCE PARTY!! 
Higuera @ the Apple Store
COME BLOW YOUR HORN! 
Higuera @ the Apple Store
FLUTTERING DOWN MONTEREY!  
Monterey & Osos St
ART in SLO 
is NOT limited to Utility Boxes!
STORE FRONT...
Monterey St ~ former surf shop
ON BUILDING WALLS...
 Chorro Street
"STANDING ON THE CORNER... 
WATCHING ALL THE GIRLS GO BY!"
(French to "deceive the eye")
Trompe-l'œil
is an art technique involving extremely 
realistic imagery in order to create 
an optical illusion that makes the 
depicted objects appear three-dimensional.

What sort of public ART does your hometown have?

5 comments:

  1. Art around here isn't as much fun as in SLO! The county library system has book statues in front of each branch and they have been fun to take pictures in front of. I also remember the painted cows swept the city years ago. Our lack of plenty may contribute to my organizing/dictating crafts with my kids. (Or is it because I didn't play enough with paint as a kid? ;)

    Thank you so much for sharing your corner of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...next time I come up you must take me on a tour to see some of these, they are really great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like public art and I especially have a weakness for artistic graffiti. And tell me, Christine, what has happened to weekword? Where can I find it now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could have sworn I commented on this post! Ah well, I'm a huge fan of public art, particularly of really utilitarian frumpy mechanical things. SLO is just the place to enjoy it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carmen @ Biomouse... Actually you did post a comment on the first part of this post... I had some more pictures to post, hence, Part 2, Art in Unexpected Places...
    I have located several more boxes that I plan to photograph... it's like a treasure hunt! Our local newspaper ran an article w/a map listing the streets, but no addresses... so I'm sure I look pretty silly wandering town with a ratty looking newspaper article trying to find the utility boxes. 16 boxes total - I've found 7 now... look for further adventures of the "Hidden Utility Boxes of SLO"... it's been fun!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...