Friday, January 7, 2011

SIMPLICITY = SIMPLE LIVING

KEW GARDEN ~ London, Summer 2010

"Reduce the complexity of life by eliminating 
the needless wants of life, 
and the labors of life reduce themselves."
~ Edwin Way Teale, American naturalist, photographer, Pultizer Prize winning author

The rush of the holidays left me breathless... out of energy... BUT also ready to welcome the NEW YEAR with a focus of "simplifying my life." I know, I've said this before, but this time I really mean it!!

My garage is CHAOS & has been for two years now - living in a condo with a single car garage doesn't allow for the accumulation of possessions. AND, we have too much STUFF! so - I'm going to start the year by announcing that I want to de-clutter my life.

I've been teased for reading these:

actually, great quote resources
So - no excuses!            
First, we'll make a pot of...
 Chicken Tortilla Soup
some soup ingredients from TJ's ~ pretty pathetic looking lime!!

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Simmer together for 8-10 minutes:
  • 1 can chicken broth
  • 1 16oz jar of salsa (medium heat)
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp cumin  
  • 2 chicken breasts, cooked & cubed
Add & simmer for another 10 minutes:
  • 1/2 bag of frozen Mexican Corn (I use Trader Joe's)
  • 1 can pinto beans (drained, rinsed)
  • 1 can black beans (drained, rinsed)
  • 2 TBSP lime juice
Top with the following: 
  • tortilla chips
  • sour cream
  • black olives
  • green onions
  • avocado

It's "simply delicious" & easy to throw together!
recipe can be doubled & frozen!!

Our blogger friend from Sweden, 
has volunteered to host. 
Please check her website for the next WEEKWORD. The host generally posts the work on Sunday or Monday. If you lose track of the host, email or leave me a note in the comment box. I've been keeping a list of the words + host....

THANKS for answering the call to revive WEEKWORD for 2011... I don't know about you, but this is the stimulation I need to stretch my blogging talents!

10 comments:

  1. I think it's so awesome you got so many people to play this time-you rock! Thanks for the tortilla soup recipe, I love warm hearty soups at this time of year and I've got a Trader Joe's close by :) I love hosting the Weekword, but figure newbies might like to give it a try, so if no one else jumps up and down for it, I'd be happy to host next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carmen - can you let Elisabeth know that you'd like to host after her? I re-posted after forgetting that she offered!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspiration! I love your choice of books - I have a similar stack by my computer that I never seem to be able to get read. Maybe I need to try some simplicity and just pick one and dive in?
    I think Weekword will be such an exciting adventure for all of us - thank you so much for allowing those of us who are new here to just jump right in and join the group.
    See you next Weekword!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. we are right on the same wavelength! made chicken tortilla for dinner last night, and while i have yet to tackle our scary garage, i went after the refrigerator and pantry with gusto yesterday. found a box labeled "best if used by october 27, 2006"...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely shot of the flower! Thanks for the recipe and good luck with your garage. I can totally relate to not having enough space.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great goal - good luck with your quest for simplicity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris, thank you so much for the recipe! That looks like something I'd like to try and the family might even like it!! I can understand your wish to de-clutter, that is our big thing for 2011. Good luck for yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! Looks like I'll be heading out to TJs for more than just flowers this week!

    I love how the flower from Kew Gardens looks like it has arms outstretched...cheering you on as you tackle your garage perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love tortilla soup and this looks like a very good recipe, I will definately be trying it. I want to simplify too but things keep getting in the way (-: Oh well, I guess that is just life. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so in with the Tortilla soup! Okay I had to laugh when I saw the stack of simple inspiration books.

    I glanced the other day at my self improvement library and wondered if perhaps my first step in clearing more space for creativity would be to Get RID of so many books telling me what to do.

    But I can't 'cause I really love books. Sigh. :o)

    xo
    Mari

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...