Tuesday, September 10, 2013

SEW WHAT???


TODAY, IN 1846, ELIAS HOWE
PATENTED THE SEWING MACHINE...

Upon reading this, I dug into my archives for these photos.
Looking beyond clothing displayed in the store window,
I was drawn to the shiny black, distinctive gold with 
accents of red & turquoise...

...a WALL OF SEWING MACHINES
These machines appear to be the same model & make,
but the only unifying feature is the color...

...this beautiful German-made Frister & Rossman sewing machine
was sold during 1907-1914
& was operated by turning the white hand crank...
a similar machine is currently being sold on eBay for under $300.

...don't you love the detail of this machine's intricate
gold-turquoise-red decorations? 

my mom's first machine was a Singer
(purchased in the early 50's)...
I purchased my machine (1972) from Sears (a Kenmore), 
which was recently replaced with a Pfaff...
my youngest daughter (Allie) bought a Pfaff
when she graduated from college... 
mom now uses a Brother...
table runners and wedding quilts!!!

I'm curious about sewing machine decals...
can anyone tell me about INDIAN head decal
(top picture)... reminds me of my DAD!



1 comment:

  1. Neat post. You know how important a sewing machine is to me...I would be lost without one. I still have the little Singer that my aunt was given as a child, she sewed beautiful garments on it her whole life, it is almost 100 year old.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...